People’s Pride Southampton actually started out as a dream just a little collective of LGBTQIA+ people and allies trying to change things…Talk about humble beginnings, huh?
Back in 2019, we started to conduct research into pride events and their lack of care or education in the community. Whilst we were conducting this research we also found out that this issue did not just extend to communities within the UK, but this has become a global issue too.
We then found out about communities starting additional pride events, where the focus is on everyone, from accessibility right down to the music and everything in-between. So bearing in mind we had no money, we thought we would try and assist other pride events in trying to reform their events to make them more accessible and so on.
We then started gathering advice and information on what the public wanted from community groups and the general public from all over Southampton as well as across the UK. We then presented this information to various pride event organisers however, they refused to work with us. So we felt that the best way forward and the best way to support the community was to start our own! Not only a pride event but a real support network that operates all year round, run by the community for the community.
Roll on to 2020, we called a public meeting at the 1865 club which was attended by over 30 members of the local community. The rest as they say is history.
Roll on to 2021 and People’s Pride Southampton is now a fully registered charity with an abundance of awesome volunteers just like you! We have now started to not only create an accessible, yet educational pride event that is due to launch in Southampton in June 2022, but we have also founded a real community support network supporting the community all year round with workshops, socials, and much more besides.
· Honesty, integrity, and trustworthiness.
· Courage, respect for others, and responsibility.
· Led for the community by the community.
Connect people & organisations to the support, community, and information they need, when they need it.
Build a strong community and safer environment for LGBTQ+ people, their friends, families, and allies.
Change attitudes and behaviours so that the LGBTQ+ community is entirely integrated into the wider community, we are people too.
· To build the biggest interconnected collective of LGBTQ+ organisations in Southampton & the surrounding areas.
· To support LGBTQ+ people, their families, and allies all year round
· To have the most accessible and inclusive pride event in Hampshire
· To make ALL of our events accessible to the entire community including but not limited to transgender community members, the neuro-diverse, and the disabled community, who are all too often left behind.
Year-over-year, we are aiming to:
· Make 20% more connections with organisations and community members.
· Reach an average approval rating of 75%.
· Double the number of sales made through the online store.
· Increase our social media channels to over 1,000 likes.
Want to meet our team? just scroll down and you can virtually meet all the awesome people who run People’s Pride Southampton.
Finally, as a UK registered charity we rely entirely on donations from the public and grants. We do not receive government funding and any help you can provide is always gratefully received and put to good use. Please consider making a donation today by clicking here.
People’s Pride Southampton
Proud to be at the heart of Southampton’s LGBTQ+ community
© 2021 by People’s Pride Southampton. All Rights Reserved. Registered Charity No. 1191841.